Author Topic: The Official Studio thread.  (Read 12304 times)

Kubbi

• Chiptune producer, bassist and general composer
    • View Profile
    • Kubbi's bandcamp
Re: The Official Studio thread.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
Is that an Ibanez RG? Do want. Have you seen the red ones? I ALMOST want to have sex with them. Almost.

It is! It's not mine though. The amp, GT-10 and guitars are my roomie's. We're just using this setup for composing, but the RG works great it the studio too.
What the heck is a kubbi?
http://kubbi.bandcamp.com

Boddrick

• Hats off to the badger.
    • View Profile
    • Boddrick's Tunes
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
Very cool. How do you record the RG? I heard one of your collab tracks, and the guitar was really crisp and clean. I don't mean clean as in not distorted, I just mean a nice controlled distortion. Maybe it's just that my guitar sucks, but I find it really hard to get a crisp distorted guitar sound. I plug my Squier strat (shit guitar is shit. Might be my problem) into my amp, and plug the amp into my audio interface. All that hardware is pretty decent, except for the guitar, so the problem shouldn't be there. But the sound is so messy and full of uncontrolled harmonics, I find it damn near impossible to mix properly. Any tips? If not, I'm guessing it's just the guitar. I really want to get hold of an RG ASAP.
Follow my progress if you like following people's progress: https://soundcloud.com/boddrick

Boddrick

• View Profile
    • Boddrick's Tunes
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »

NNNNNGH!!!
Follow my progress if you like following people's progress: https://soundcloud.com/boddrick

Kubbi

• Chiptune producer, bassist and general composer
    • View Profile
    • Kubbi's bandcamp
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
Very cool. How do you record the RG? I heard one of your collab tracks, and the guitar was really crisp and clean. I don't mean clean as in not distorted, I just mean a nice controlled distortion. Maybe it's just that my guitar sucks, but I find it really hard to get a crisp distorted guitar sound. I plug my Squier strat (shit guitar is shit. Might be my problem) into my amp, and plug the amp into my audio interface. All that hardware is pretty decent, except for the guitar, so the problem shouldn't be there. But the sound is so messy and full of uncontrolled harmonics, I find it damn near impossible to mix properly. Any tips? If not, I'm guessing it's just the guitar. I really want to get hold of an RG ASAP.

We're using the 7 str version and it probably has a different set of pick ups. Unfortunately I don't think it's the best sounding guitar I've ever heard, but it's the only 7str we have. I prefer that fender strat sound. Anyways, if your looking for a good guitar sound, sending a direct signal from the amp to the interface might not be the best approach. If you're very happy with the sound in your amp, I'd suggest getting a good guitar mic. (an SM57 is cheap and does the job. Works for almost everything).

What we did on "The See-through Zone" is using amp simulators, cause I like having the opportunity to edit around on the clean guitar recording and being able to work on the guitar tone after everything is recorded. Tbh recording guitar is a bit new to me, but I've got some really good tips from more experienced engineers.

If you'd like to keep it cheap and (very) easy, get the "Amplitube 3" amp simulator plug-in that we used. Though it might not be "the real deal" and sounds like an amp simulator, it's a great tool to get a pretty nice  guitar tone in like 10 seconds. On "The See-Through Zone" we actually just found a good preset and tweaked it. It sucks up CPU like shit though and I'm not sure of the price.

another tip; multi track the guitar as often as possible. At least rhythm guitar. One for the left channel and one for the right. Gives it a great and natural width. It takes more time and more precision, but it's worth the effort.
What the heck is a kubbi?
http://kubbi.bandcamp.com

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
EQ is your friend. So are the tone controls on your guitar and amp. If you have a vanilla single coil strat-like  you will get lots of highs even if you don't try for them. Research rewiring the tone controls if you don't like the way your bridge pickup sounds.

TDK

• FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    • View Profile
    • FLIT KILLS MOTHS
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
This is the music room as it was when writing Reawakening. It's changed a little now to make way for sorting out the live version.

Boddrick

• View Profile
    • Boddrick's Tunes
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Kubbi and chunter! Legends. Yeah, micing up instead of line-in is something I've been thinking about. Some of the trebles associated with strumming is lost when you go directly via cables the whole time. It's not that obvious, but I can tell it's making the sound worse. So yeah, I think I'll go down the decent microphone route.

I'll definitely try Ampltube 3 first though. That sounds like a good mid-range option, which is probably fine for me.

chunter, I think you're right that I'd benefit hugely from doing some rewiring. My strat is indeed your bog-standard dingle-coil shit. To be honest, it's about time I got a new guitar anyway, so I might just forget the rewiring, and get me an Ibanez RG with dual-coils. I just. I need one.

EDIT: I was going to correct that 'dingle-coil' typo, and then I realised it's hilarious, so I'll leave it as it is :D

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 03:04:55 AM »
If you're lucky you'll find something like this under your pickguard

which means in my case, someday my guitar may have humbuckers or really any other madness, but I like it too much as it is for now.

Bit wish

• I had to long text here.
    • View Profile
    • Bit mafia
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »
Bedroom got updated; found an old small amp in my closet. Got an adapter and it works.

Orin

• small, introverted platypus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 02:51:58 AM »
Bedroom got updated; found an old small amp in my closet. Got an adapter and it works.

is that the dmg that blew up?

Bit wish

• I had to long text here.
    • View Profile
    • Bit mafia
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
Up date!